Saturday, July 9, 2011

Celebrating Independence Day!

I must say...I LOVE the 4th of July!!! It always reminds me of when I was a kid and the whole family would meet up in downtown to watch the fireworks in the park. The night was always hot and muggy...but that is the way I like it!


This year...it was definitely HOT! Harper and I actually started the festivities early, by watching the fireworks on July 3rd from her playhouse. They didn't even start until 10 pm, but she was so excited that she managed to stay up. On July 4th, we started out in the morning by taking the kids to city park to do some arts and crafts. They each made a red, white and blue hat (Owen wouldn't wear his!), got tattoos (the wash off kind!) and had their faces painted. Owen even got to ride a pony...well, he wasn't very fond of it but decided riding ponies was ok by the end of the ride. We actually only stayed about an hour because it was just too hot.






Later that evening, we headed to Melanie and Cole's for the annual 4th of July Parade in their neighborhood. Two years ago, Harper and Owen (well he just laid in his carseat) participated and won "best float." Harper has never forgotten this! Last year we got the gator all decorated again...and the parade got rained out. This year, again, Harper and I decorated the gator into a glorious, American parade float. When we were driving on the way to the parade, it started raining on us...Harper started sobbing, "Why does it have to rain every year we do this?" Luckily the rain held off until the parade was over. They didn't hand out prizes this year, but we sure did have a TON of fun! Owen was so glad to be the co-pilot. He smiled and waved his flag for all he was worth!



0 comments: