Saturday, July 2, 2011

Harper & Mommy's Treasure Hunt

Two weeks ago, I was scheduled to be on vacation, but we really didn't have any plans. Just hang out and play. Coincidentally, my sister was asked to work in Orlando that week. She had asked me to go, but I just didn't think it would be feasible. But...all of the stars aligned and I was able to plan an exciting trip for "Just Us Girls". The best part was...Harper had no idea!
Sunday night, I gave Harper a treasure map (she has been really into Jake and the Neverland Pirates TV show...so it was perfect) and her first clue. The first clue she opened was a pink wallet with a little bit of case and a picture of a shopping bag. She thought for awhile and I finally I said, "where do you think we are going?" Owen was the first to respond..."Shopping!" So, I told Harper that her and I were going to go to Dallas the following day to shop! She was so inquisitive about the other clues. She asked me, "Do any of them have reservations?" I had her guess what she thought the treasure box was and she said it had to be a new dress...
We got up super early the next morning and loaded up to go to Dallas. She really didn't ask many questions on the way down there...she just watched her movie and colored. When we got to Grapevine Mills Mall...I gave her Clue #2. It was a toy airplane and a picture of an airplane. She got it instantly..."We're going on a plane!" I only told her there were two planes and first one was to Houston...there she would get her next prize. We hurried around the mall because she insisted on shopping and then quickly headed to the airport.
Once we arrived in Houston...we headed to our next gate and I gave her Clue #3. It was a beach ball. Again, she guessed it right away, "We're going to the beach!" She was so excited! She loves the beach, but has never been to one that was warm enough to swim in...so she was happy to hear that. Then she heard them announce boarding for Orlando and she said..."Hey, that is where Disney World is!" One smart cookie!
Immediately after we got off the plane in Orlando, she got Clue #4 (The Treasure Box). It was a tank top with Minnie Mouse on it...and...she got the biggest smile on her face and looked up at me and said..."We're going to Disney World!" The best part of all of the clue giving was that after each one she said, "Thank you, thank you, thank you Mommy!"
So, we headed downstairs to get our rental car...which was perhaps the smallest car I have ever driven. Kinda like a windup car...but it got us from point A to point B.
We then headed to Downtown Disney to eat at Rainforest Cafe before we headed to the hotel. Harper has been wanting to eat there for a very long time...I am sure glad there were only two of us. It was totally overpriced and the burger resembled that of a hockey puck. But you pay for the atmosphere right?

The time had come to go the hotel...for Harper to get the last and final clue that she was totally unaware of. We drove a short way and entered the resort where we would be staying. It was late and my sister hadn't quite gotten checked in yet. So, I was stalling big time. Driving around the parking lot, pretending to text the hotel for our room number, etc. At one point we actually drove past my sister getting in her car. Finally, Harper and I got out of the car and headed up to the condo. I told Harper that the front desk said a maid would be in there to give us a key. She knocked on the door...and Aunt Melanie answered...Harper's expression was shocked...but after Melanie greeted her, she said..."I saw you outside Melanie!" Whoooopppps! Oh well!
The next day, Mel headed to work and Harper and I headed to Magic Kingdom. We arrived right as they opened and hit the ground running. Not to mention, we started sweating instantly...it is so HOT/Humid in Florida in June! We got fast passes for most of our favorite rides and then headed to many of our other favs. Harper was such a trooper...she never complained about having to wait in line, being hot or walking all over creation. Around 2 pm, we headed back to the resort to pick up Melanie, so she could join us at MK. When we arrived back at the park, we got a chance to take our pics with Mickey & Minnie and the Princesses. No matter how many times you have done that...it is still magical! Harper took Aunt Mel on a whirlwind tour of MK and we got to ride a ton of things in just a short period of time. We also had a great dinner at our favorite restaurant, Liberty Tree Tavern.








It was a very long day on Tuesday, but Wednesday started out a little slower. Mel headed to work super early and Harper and I slept in. When we woke up, we ate some cereal and looked at the view from the balcony. We walked around the resort for a little while and then decided to head to the Outlet Mall. It had some awesome stores, but Harper was still worn out from the previous day at Disney. Her and I headed back to the resort, ate some lunch on the balcony and got on our swimsuits and headed down the pool. It was a huge zero entry pool with an awesome water slide. It took a little convincing, but she finally went down the slide and I caught her at the bottom. She got so good at the slide, that she entered the kids' slide race. They had all kinds of events at this resort. So cool!


After the pool, we got in the car and headed to the nearest Kohl's...just to park the car and jump in with Mel. When then headed to Cocoa Beach...a real beach! It was so cool, to get to see all of the sights along the way, but the best part was seeing Harper's face when she saw the beach. The water was so warm and inviting...she ran and splashed immediately. We walked out a ways and helped her "jump" the waves. It was so much fun! While in Cocoa Beach...we hit the Original Ron Jon Surf Shop and took home plenty of sand in the car! :)


For dinner that night, we got to eat at yummy Bahama Breeze and then headed to Downtown Disney for one final Hoorah!

Harper and I left the following morning at 4:30 AM! It was a whirlwind tour...but it was an absolute BLAST!!!! Best Girl's Trip EVER!

2 comments:

alisha said...

oh what a fun mom you are! i'm so glad you guys had a great spontaneous trip! fun fun!

Erin said...

Looks like you all had sooo much fun! Seeing posts like this makes me want to have a girl... :)