Well...it is something Harper has wanted to do for a very long time. Her and Grandma T used to talk about going on a "big boat" before she was even two and she has never forgotten it. We finally took the plunge and hit the high seas on a cruise to the Bahamas last month. It was truly an unforgettable adventure!
Harper, Grandma and I set out for Dallas on a Wednesday afternoon...did a little shopping...at In-and-Out Burger and headed to the hotel to get some early zzz's. We got up bright and early (well...dark and early!) and headed to the airport to catch our flight to Orlando. Of course the whole way Harper was reminding us that Orlando is where Disney World is...but I kept reminding her that we were going on a cruise...no Disney this time!
We met Aunt Mel at the Orlando airport and headed to Port Canaveral to embark! We were all amazed at how BIG cruise ships are. Our ship, the Carnival Sensation and the Disney Dream were the only ones in the port, but they were both massive. We got all checked in and headed onto the boat and up to the Lido Deck for a sunny lunch out by the pool. It was a few hours, but we finally "Bon Voyaged" out into the deep blue sea. During that time, Harper had to try out the water slides on board. She was already having a blast.
We got to our room a little bit before dinner and Harper was so excited that it had a window and two bunk beds. We all unpacked and headed to formal dinner. Super yummy, very fancy meal! We called it an early night because it was such an early morning that day!
The next morning we woke up and headed up to breakfast, again, on the Lido Deck. We wandered around the ship for awhile, but soon saw our destination in the distance. Nassau, Bahamas was not too far off! We got into port at around noon and disembarked shortly after. Once we were off the ship, we hopped on another (much smaller) boat to head to the Blue Lagoon Private Island. It was great getting to see the sights of Nassau as we passed by the shore. Of course , I got to see Atlantis! Somewhere I have been amazed with ever since I saw it on the Travel Channel. The water in Nassau amazed me. It was literally Crystal Clear!
We got the island and wandered around for a bit. Of course, Harper the fish was in the water as soon as we got off the boat. We even got to try real coconut milk. YUCK! Not sweet at all, but it was fresh...we watched the guy climb the tree to get the coconuts down.
Finally it was time for our Dolphin Encounter. It was a little chilly this day, so we were all shivering when we got in the water, but warmed up with a welcome from our new friend, Salvador. I have wanted to pet/touch a dolphin for as long as I can remember. Hello...former Zoology teacher! :) Harper did great, she touched Sal, but then she saw the itty bitty quarter size black and white fish swimming in the crystal blue water and FLIPPED OUT!!! She started climbing up me like a monkey to get out of the water. Finally, I put her back on the dock, so I could enjoy an absolutely wonderful hug from Sal. This was an experience I will never forget!!!
Once we were back in Nassau, we hit to the streets to do a little shopping. We ended up buying a few souvenirs and then headed over to eat dinner at Hard Rock Cafe! Then, it was back to the ship before dark.
Once we were back on the ship, we went to the Lounge (aka auditorium) for some fun games. We actually won two of the games. Way to go Team! Melanie and I stayed for the show that night and then hit the hay.
Our next day was spent at sea on our return to Port Canaveral. It was a very fun, relaxing day. Harper and I got up early and ate our breakfast on the patio. We laid out by the pool and then Harper got to make a Build-a-Bear in the Camp Carnival Kid's area. Harper, Grandma, and me even went to a towel animal folding class. Harper had a blast! Of course, Harper talked me into swimming later that day...one word...SALTY! The pool was salty ocean water. I was not expecting that. The slides were regular water but it was chilly. I would rather be cold than salty! We had really good time going down the slides. That night we go fancied up in our dresses and headed to formal dinner. It was a great time and our waiter was so much fun! We all went to the show that night and Harper and I went to the top deck to look at the stars before we went to bed.


The next morning found us back in Port Canaveral, then on our way back home. We had such a wonderful time together. A much needed vacation!!! Just tonight while I was putting Harper to sleep, she said, "Mom, can we go on another cruise tomorrow!"
0 comments:
Post a Comment