Monday, August 13, 2012

Big Boy Goes to School!

Well...the day finally came.  My baby Big Boy went to school for the very first time!
He, like his sister did, is going to the 3 year old program that our school district offers for children of school employees. It is at one our elementary schools (not the one Harper goes to, but right across town) and they have a real classroom, eat in a real cafeteria and play on a real playground!  Pretty cool!
Last Thursday, we took him to Open House.  He walked right in and immediately found the wooden train set...got it out and started playing.  He put his nap mat and pillow up and gave his school supplies to his teacher.  He seemed right at home and was ready to come back.
This morning, he hoped right out of bed when I woke him up.  We got dressed, grabbed our lunch pail and headed out the door.  Richard turned on the music in the car and he sang to Raffi the entire way to school.  when we got out, he blazed ahead...remembering the way all by himself.  He had a huge smile on his face when he saw his teacher...and he even remembered her name.  Helps that we know her and she was Harper's teacher too!
He walked right in and found his name on his cubbie, placing his backpack right on the hook.  He wanted to go immediately to the wooden train set, but his teacher told him he had to eat breakfast first.  He went right over and sat down to eat.  We said our goodbyes...gave kisses and headed out the door.  NO TEARS...from Owen!  I can't believe that he is old enough to be in school.  To put it in perspective, I was pregnant with him when Harper was in this program and that seems like yesterday!
All throughout our meetings today, I was thinking about him.  What was he doing?  Did he like?  Did he talk to the other kids?
About noon, I got a text from his teacher with a picture of him playing on the playground.  He was digging in the dirt.  I was so relieved to see that he was doing ok.  She said he kept telling her, "I'm really tired."  She told him that it was about an hour until nap and he said, "But...I'm REALLY tired!"  Needless to say...he took a nap.
He was the last one left when we went to pick him up, but he was playing with...you guessed it...the wooden train set.  He ran up and hugged us and then picked up his toys and grabbed his backpack.  He gave his teacher a high-five and said he was ready to come back tomorrow.  I'd say it was a VERY successful First Day of School!
So far...when asked about his day he said:
  • He played with the big boys...one was named Owen and he had on a Cookie Monster Shirt! (not sure who he talking about.)
  • He went potty all by himself.  He stood up! (His teacher said the first time he pulled up his pants, he just pulled up the shorts and left the underwear down.  A small learning curve on this!)
  • He went down the little slide!
  • He can't climb up the rock wall.
  • He ate lunch in his other school...I think he means the cafeteria.
  • Avery was there!  (she is a friend of Harper's)
  • He was upset he couldn't bring his cup home.  The one we take and leave for them to have during the week.
  • His teacher's "girl" (daughter) was there!

1 comments:

Sara said...

These little stinkers are growing up WAY too fast!!